An Ontario Trillium Foundation – Grow Grant Project
In partnership with Centre for Innovation in Peer Support, Lived Experience & Recovery Network (LERN) is pleased to offer a comprehensive, best practices peer support training, Peer Support Core Competencies Training for youth.
How To Apply:
Application can be submitted these ways:
- Email: email@example.com
- Google Form: Online Application Form (https://forms.gle/Eqi2Rscx3X4fZQF68)
- In-person submission: OUTLoud to Seth Compton, 123 Delaware Ave, North Bay
About The Peer Support Training Program:
This project is a Peer Support Training Program, for youth (ages 12 – 18), along with an internship delivered to youth, with lived experience of mental health challenges and/or substance use problems. There is no fee to attend this training.
This training program will empower youth to take on leadership roles within their peers’ communities, helping themselves and others in their own recovery & wellness. Once trained, these Youth Peer Supporters will be partnered with community agencies to offer peer support, completing their internship while also satisfying their volunteer hours required for graduation. As a result, this project will create meaningful engagement of youths within the community.
Did you know that less than 20% of children and youth in Canada receive appropriate treatment for mental illness? (Mental Health Commission of Canada) As suicide is heartbreakingly the second leading cause of death for Canadian youth aged 15 – 24, we must act now, as this is the time for peers to empower peers towards wellness and recovery.
The lead trainers for this project are both LERN staff members: Kari Sterling and Erin Russell; both certified Peer Support Core Competencies Trainers and Peer Support Workers.
OUTLoud is a prominent organization within our community that has been enhancing the empowerment of peer support within our youth, therefore LERN is honoured to partner with Seth Compton, a youth mental health advocate, the Executive Director and Founder of OUTLoud North Bay, in hosting LERN’s Youth Peer Support Training Program.
Please note, if interested in attending this training, all individuals must:
- Complete the application form (successful candidates will be contacted) by July 22
- Be between the ages of 12 – 18
- Have reliable transportation to & from the venue for each training date (OUTLoud North Bay, 123 Delaware Ave.)
- Must attend all the training dates: July 26, 27, August 2,3, 9, 10, 16 & 17, 2022, 9:30am – 3:00pm.
- Sign and respect the confidentiality form
- Complete ten (10) hours of community peer support volunteer hours
- *It is important to note that this will be a safe space for all individuals to attend.